Thursday, October 11

Pumpkin Spice Latte


I remember as a kid, my parents would never allow me to drink coffee. Minuman orang tua, they would reason. Not that I would care though, I hate coffee.

Honestly, I don't understand coffee fanatics. Coffee just tastes awful. It's bitter no matter how much sugar or milk you add; those who take their coffee black probably have cardboard for a tongue. Fine, it does wake you up with the caffeine and all, but, seriously, a caffeine high just feels like a bad headache that keeps you awake. Even worse, if you drink it at night, you're sleepy and on high alert at the same time - which just feels like a session of Chinese water torture.

But then, when in college, coffee is a student's best friend. And I'm starting to follow the trend. 

To be fair, it's damn cold here. And you can't go to a mamak stall and order a teh tarik to warm you up; over here it's all about the coffee. You could order hot chocolate or tea, but the former's too fattening and the latter just tastes awful (not like the tea in Malaysia). So coffee is the only option for me really. On the positive side, coffee here tastes great. And they use pumpkin the right way - pumpkin spice adds a delicious tone to nearly everything, especially a latte. Not like back home, where the sweet fruit is thrown into kari and served with white rice.

I still hate coffee, but sometimes when I'm sleepy or cold I don't really have a choice. Another annoying thing with coffee over here is that they all brew Starbucks coffee. I don't support Starbucks and their "cause", but then again there isn't any other brand on sale that is ready made. And I have no idea how to make coffee.

Still, I doubt I'll ever turn into a coffee lover. Balik kampung I'll still drink warm milo with my roti canai :)






No comments:

Post a Comment